Yesterday, I turned 32!!! Whaaaaat?! No one is more surprised than me that another year has come and gone!
Life Is Good
I really am loving this chapter of my life. I spent my 20’s trying to figure out who I was and where I wanted my life to go. Now that I’m in my 30’s, I feel I have a good handle on the direction that life is taking. But, as Carrie Bradshaw says:
Last week I spent some time reflecting back on some of my birthdays…where they were, who I was with…memories are just awesome aren’t they?? The friends in the memories are the same…and I am a very lucky and blessed girl. I also started thinking about the lessons that took me years to learn and how I’ve become the person I am today because of them.
This is my “ADVICE FROM A 32 YEAR OLD”
1. Live by yourself once in your life…even if it’s just for a short time. In between 23-27, I lived by myself. It was extremely hard. I had to learn to be ridiculously responsible and careful with my money.
Hard times aside, living alone for that amount of time on my own was one of the best decisions I have ever made in my entire life. I didn’t have cable or an iPod or even a house phone
#cheapskate? There is nothing like living alone to help you get to know your own body, mind and soul. Before I moved into my house-I had never even had my own room. Those years were a quiet and beautiful time that I wouldn’t trade for a single thing. I built a solid base of WHO I am before I met and married my husband: I learned to live with, and love my own “self” before becoming my “married self.”
2. You may looooooooove high heels….but incorporate some flatter shoes into your life.
I was a heel girl…forever. At about 29- I realized YIKES….my feet HURT.…ALL THE TIME. I teetered and tottered
fell a LOTfrom ages 15-30 on the highest of heels. I don’t know how I did it because just thinking about all those gorgeous shoes (that I should probably start selling online because they are collecting dust) make my feet hurt. Woof. What was I thinking. Pretty is pain? At least I know now that flats (or wedges?!) Are my FRIEND.
3. Never ever ever lie. There are truths, half truths, white lies, lies by omission. Just don’t do it. Tell the truth. It is worth its weight in gold.
3. Always trust your gut instincts. They are usually right. Whenever I have ignored my intuition, it has led me in the wrong direction. Every. Single. Time. Yet, when I have LISTENED to my gut it has rewarded me.
4. Don’t chose boys over your friends This one is sooo important. It took me a while to learn this. I treasure my friendships and they mean the WORLD to me. I have always had great friends who steer me in the right direction…but, I can remember a few instances where I chose my boyfriend over my friends. I’m sad when I think back to those memories, and so, so sorry.
Now that I am all grown up and married, it’s obviously a little different. A husband and a wife make decisions together since they are a team. But, I feel like my friends, my husband, and I are all on the same “team”…what a great feeling.
5. Find something that is your true passion and never ever let it go Everybody has something (external) that they love. Find that thing, and let it grab a hold of you. When I was 18-19-20…in my wildest dreams, I wouldn’t have thought I would be a diehard passionate runner who loves to run, compete, and train. I would’ve thought that girl was a crazy person. Lucky for me, running grabbed me and held on for dam life because here we are, and it is still driving me towards bigger and better things. A great passion will do that for you.
Now, off to celebrate day#2 of birthday fun! Please tell me you celebrate all weekend or Week or month for yours too?!?
Happy Friday everyone!
What are some lessons that you have learned over the years?
(random bday pics through the years!)